I’m Going Rogue
Do I have your attention??? Read on…
Does your classroom or educational system look like this:
Might I suggest an upgrade?
With the emergence of the internet and the proliferation of educational technology, there are too many ways to break down these black and white walls. Lets add some color.
Some suggestions to get you started:
- Start a classroom blog at Kidblog.org: easy to use and set up. You have control. Keep your student blogs private or share them with the world. Your choice. I had my calculus students write a letter to their parents for parent teacher conferences (you can even blog in math).
- Consider starting a blog site as a teacher at WordPress.com or Blogger.com. Use your blog to connect with fellow educators. Learn something new. Share something brilliant. Advocate for your school or district. Reflect on your practice – get better!
- Create a Twitter account and learn to use it. Seek professional development that meets the needs YOU have as an educator. Nobody knows what you need like you do. Step into the cool zone! Follow a hashtag – I’m partial to #oklaed myself…
- Knock down the four walls of your classroom by connecting with a classroom or an expert somewhere else through Mystery Skype or Google Hangouts. There is no better way to bring the world to your students. Real time interaction with people from all over the world. Nothing can replace this experience – both are free. Thats right – FREE! The world is literally in your pocket or on your teacher work station. Share it with your students.
- Maybe even flip a lesson or a unit….
I know as teachers our time is valuable. It is the one commodity that is always in very short supply. These items listed here – they do not require tons of legwork. Just a little investigating up front and some planning. Pick one or two of these things and make a commitment to incorporate them into your classroom fabric.
Make this year the best ever. Make this year one your students and YOU will never forget. Do something different. Find your passion. Don’t ever forget why you started teaching. That fire you had when you were young and naive – rekindle it.
Step out of your comfort zone and GO ROGUE!
Find the magic and have the best year! #BeBrilliant!
All of the cool people leave comments - what are your thoughts?